Tuesday, June 20, 2006

And then the wall spoke

Went to Germany for a week to visit my grandad, or Opi, whom I hadn't seen in over a decade. Every day there had perfect weather, reaching as high as 34 degrees in the shade. We went swimming in natural sulphur springs, ate lots of hazelnut ice cream which was yummy.

I read 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' on the outward journey. Good book, surprisingly readable and moving. I'm not sure whether this was intentional, but I disliked the kid whathisname. I couldn't deal him. At the same time I respected his like for mathematics and the scientific method. The problems described prompted me to explore them for myself.

Whilst in Germany I read 'Fear Itself'. The first few pages pissed me off a lot; bloody Americans... The story seemed to pick up a bit though. Some insightful stuff about the nature of fear and sexual pleasure in there. Not bad for an American.

Opi and I talked about politics and war, and of course his war stories. He wrote a report of his experiences in the Russian front in German a few years ago and we decided he should translate them into his best English which I would later edit.

Came back to Cambridge on Thursday, went to the Homerton Event on Friday, which for a tenner was excellent. Much better ROI (Return Of Investment, not Republic Of Ireland) than any ball could manage. Obviously Saturday I came to watch your show James - good stuff, I'm told. Sunday was Wyvern's Garden party, which was fun. There were women in bikinis wrestling in jelly! Apparently each girl received £100 for joining in. If I were a girl I so would have done that. Didn't sleep a wink Sunday night. Then came Jesus May Ball on Monday night, which was excellent, and I got four hours sleep this morning after Survivor's Photo. Oh, saw Will Brown the other day, and at the end of the ball - he's a galled tit, I mean tall git now. Claims he's extremely average here, which after having read some Maths Tripos papers I'm not surprised by.

Looks like I've got my placement in Astrophysics Part II next year, pleased about that. Should be a fascinating year.

How's the Christian thing going? And Camille? Did you know there's a French singer by the same name who I think is fantastic?